Monday, January 18, 2010

Book Of The Month

I stayed up late last night finishing this new book and 1st novel by author Kathryn Stockett. It is beautifully written book about relationships between white children and their black maids during the 1960's when racial tensions were high. Skeeter, has just graduated from Ole Miss and returned home to Jackson, Ms with no job prospects in sight. She is sadly surprised that the maid who raised her is no longer with the family. With wide open eyes Skeeter realizes that she never thanked Contstantine. Through the eyes of Skeeter, and two maids, Minny and Abileen, life as "the help" is revealed.
My fondest memories are of Essie Mae, who took care of me as a little girl, and later "Queen Esther" who worked for my mother through my elementary years. I knew they had families, but never knew their last names or wondered who watched their children while they were watching me. My girlfriends and I would walk home from school every day for lunch and Queen Esther would have hamburgers and french fries, complete with homemade pie for our lunch. I don't know if we ever said thank you. I hope I did!

No comments: